Happy day after Thanksgiving! I was a little slow to get this ditty mapped out today, so I apologize for this not being up earlier. I guess the onslaught of turkey, potatoes (we had 3 varieties) and red wine will leave a person a bit lethargic the next morning. I hope this email finds you at home in your pajamas and not at your desk at work.
5. The Avs lost a squeaker in Edmonton last night, 3-2, on a goal with 29 seconds remaining by Taylor Hall, the 1st overall pick in last June’s NHL Draft. The Avs’ Matt Duchene tied the game at 2 just seconds into the second period, but the late Oilers' goal moved the Avalanches to 0-2 on their “Roll The Bones” tour. The Nuggets host the Chicago Bulls tonight at Pepsi Center.
4. Continuing on the NBA tip. It’s time for some more gratuitous Blake Griffin footage from last night’s Clipper win over Sacramento. Another solid night for the rookie as he put up 25 points/15 rebounds to move him to averages of 19/11 just 16 games into his pro career. (For the record, the only NBA players currently averaging at least 18/11 are Pau Gasol, Dwight Howard and Kevin Love.) Neglected in Blake’s dunking video-fest versus the New York Knicks was the fact that he had 44, 15 and 7 assists in that game, as well.
3. Last night in NCAA action was a bit quiet, but the Cal Bears made a nice late run to finish off the #20-ranked Temple Owls. The Bears lost most of their team from last year, but are being led this year by junior point-guard, Jorge Gutierrez. A native of Chihuahua, Mexico, Gutierrez moved to Denver for his last couple years of high school, led Lincoln High to a state title and then was allegedly denied entrance into CU because of his foreign transfer credits. They were good enough for the outrageously prestigious Cal-Berkley, but not Boulder?!?! This story perfectly illustrates some of the overall problems with the athletic department at our state’s flagship university.
2. BIG COLLEGE FOOTBALL DAY! (All times listed are MST)
Auburn @ Alabama (12:30 PM CBS)
CU @ Nebraska (1:30 PM ABC)
Arizona @ Oregon (5 PM ESPN)
Boise State @ Nevada (8:15 PM ESPN)
Other than the CU game (which has tons of interesting subplots, both locally and nationally, in its own right), every game of this quartet has national title implications.
1. Daily Broncos Looksie. I’m going to look for Knowshawn Moreno to a have a big game this Sunday versus the Rammers. His ability to run and catch these past two weeks has actually been close to worthy of the high pick that was used to draft the University of Georgia product.
ONE LOVE AND HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND!