Thursday is upon us and another bluebird (and snow-free) day up here in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. With out further adieu…
5. Tuesday night, the Denver Nuggets got off to a slow start against the Charlotte Bobcats, but were able to claw their way back and make the game competitive before losing at the buzzer. Last night was a carbon-copy start, but their opponent was the East-best, Boston Celtics. Game over. Carmelo Anthony sat with a gimpy right knee, but had this to say about said knee/his contract situation. On the bright side, Utah lost.
4. Goals aplenty in the NHL last night with 5 of the 6 games having at least 7 goals and the one low-scoring game was still a 3-2 contest. Unfortunately, the highest scoring game of the night was a 5-4 OT win for the Vancouver Canucks.
3. Both of my adopted Midwest teams that have gotten (random) attention on the High Five won last night. Illinois, in their usual impressive self, jumped on Oakland early and cruised to an easy win. Missouri, on the other hand, had a tough one at home against an impressive Vanderbilt team. The game went into overtime as the Tigers let a late lead slip (starting to become their M.O.), but made the last big play in the extra five minutes on a steal and lay-up in the waning seconds.
(FYI-I pitched the idea and am now doing a SLAM feature story on these two out-of-conference, but geographically neighboring rivals. In two weeks, I will be in St Louis for their annual pre-Christmas game.)
2. Staying in the college hoops world, we had another OT thriller, but this one was just up the road in Boulder. The hosting CU Buffs outlasted their neighbors to the north, the CSU Rams for a 90-83 win. The Buffs Big Three (Corey Higgins, Marcus Relphorde, Alec Burks) did the majority of the damage combining for 58 points. Both teams did look good in front what looked like a sweet Coors Event Center crowd and each has gotten off to (rare) positive starts and look headed in the right direction. Aside from my curiosity about how CU will fare once the Big 12 play starts, I am most intrigued by the sophomore Burks. I’ll have much more on him as the year progresses (trying to get a SLAM piece on him, as we speak) but rest assured that the kid could finish with the terms ‘All-American’ and ‘Lottery Pick’ next to his name. For real. Burks and backcourt mate, Higgins both were named preseason First-Team All Big 12, making them the only teammates in the league to make the first team. Five of the next six are cakewalk games (a rebuilding New Mexico in the middle) for CU before they open the Big 12 on January 8th v. Mizzou!
1. Two buttons goes to anyone that can, off the top of their head, name the Broncos’ opponent this Sunday. I am sitting here, dumbfounded, I can’t remember. It doesn’t matter. Let Tebow play. Lose the last four. Move into the #1 draft spot. Hire Elway. Hire Harbaugh. Draft Andrew Luck. Stanfordize this place! I mean, draft DEFENSIVE LINEMAN!!!!
Now, I know how hard it was to be this guy. Who wants to draft defense anyway?!?! You always want to grab that next offensive star!
PS-NO URBAN MEYER. NO URBAN MEYER. NO URBAN MEYER.
I still can’t think of which team we play this Sunday……